- HDHomeRun DVR subscription
- HDHomeRun CONNECT, CONNECT Duo, CONNECT Quatro, EXTEND, PRIME, or EXPAND
- Mac running El Capitan (10.11) or newer
- Sufficient disk space to hold recordings. HD content typically runs around 6GB per hour. HDHomeRun Premium TV content typically runs around 1GB per hour.
- The Mac must be on at all times in order to make recordings or access previously recorded content. Sleep mode should be disabled.
Before you Get Started – Activating Subscription
You need to activate your DVR software, if you haven’t already done so. Visit the Shop. Purchase the DVR Activation. When you get your receipt, it will include a link to activate your DVR. Click that link. Fill in the email address and activation code also found in your receipt. You do not need to activate more than once per household.
If you need to re-activate, search your email for “Your SiliconDust SHOP order receipt” which will include any necessary links and codes.
1) Download the HDHomeRun Mac software
2) Install the HDHomeRun Mac software:
Install the software you downloaded in the previous step. On the Mac you want to record on, check the box for HDHomeRun record during the installation process.
3) Verify the DVR is active
Go to http://my.HDHomeRun.com/ and verify that HDHomeRun RECORD shows in a box at the top of the page.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where does the DVR record to?
Recordings are stored in /Users/HDHomeRun
How do I change the record location?
See the Mac HDHomeRun DVR Advanced Configuration post.
Using the HDHomeRun App
- Launch the HDHomeRun app to start watching TV
- Click or tap on the screen to bring up the user interface
- Channel Slice – select a channel on the channel list, use the left/right arrows or drag the channel to the left to enable Channel Slice. DVR users will have access to 14 days.
- DVR Users – click the DVR Menu icon on the far right of the on-screen-display (or press Escape) to get to the DVR main menu.
Action Bar and Keyboard Shortcuts:
- Left or Left arrow key : ~10 second rewind
- Down arrow key: rewind 10 mins
- Play/Pause: or space bar
- Right or Right arrow key: ~30 second seek forward
- Up arrow key: seek forward 10 mins
- SAP: Secondary audio programming
- CC: Closed caption (subtitles)
- DVR menu: or ESC key
- If your keyboard has dedicated multimedia keys, these will also work