- Install the HDHomeRun app from Google Play
- If you haven’t done so already, run a channel scan from the HDHomeRun Device Webpage
- Purchase an HDHomeRun DVR subscription from the Silicondust Shop site. DVR subscriptions support current generation HDHomeRun tuners, subscriptions are based on per household. Multiple HDHomeRun tuners are supported, signal types can also be mixed (for example, OTA + CABLE)
- You will be emailed a purchase receipt with an activation code and link to activate your HDHomeRun. If you’re having problems activating your HDHomeRun try a different browser, recommend Chrome or Firefox
- The HDHomeRun Android app will access recordings from a NAS, PC, or Nvidia Shield
Record to the Shield
Instead of saving recordings to a NAS or PC, DVR subscribers can save recordings directly to the Nvidia Shield Console.
- Nvidia Shield Console (16GB)
- Nvidia Shield Console PRO (500GB)
- 500GB or larger hard drive.
- Ethernet recommended.
- USB 3.0 recommended if connecting an external USB hard drive.
- Recommend formatting external drives to ex-FAT
- Attach external USB drive to Shield Console
- Set USB drive as “Use as removable storage”
- Launch the HDHomeRun app
- Press the play/pause button on the game controller 13 times to access settings menu
- Enable Record Engine
- Exit the app
- Re-launch the HDHomeRun app
WARNING: Android will automatically delete your recordings if you use Android for recordings and you uninstall the HDHomeRun VIEW app (this version forward). This is an Android policy and not under the control of Silicondust. Access the settings menu or my.hdhomerun.com to confirm Record Engine is running.
Q: Can I set the USB hard drive as “internal storage”?
A: Yes, however the drive will be encrypted for that specific Shield. It will also be formatted as EXT4 and will not be readable by Windows
Q: Can I use a USB thumb drive or a SD card?
A: HDHomeRun Record requires at least 500GB of storage. Yes, maybe one day
Q: Can I run an external USB on the Shield Pro? Which drive will it save to?
A: Yes, HDHomeRun Record will save to the external drive
Q: Will HDHomeRun RECORD wake the NVIDIA Shield Console for a scheduled recording?
A: Yes; however, if the Shield console is powered off it will not record.
Q: Will I be able to access recordings from the Shield console like I do now with my NAS (or my PC)?
A: Yes, you will be able to access recordings on your LAN as you do with your NAS (or PC).
Q: Can I run HDHomeRun RECORD and my NAS together?
A: Recommend running one designate location for DVR recordings, either you NAS or the Shield.